Saturday, January 23, 2010

He must become greater, I must become less

During my quiet time, God highlighted a passage from Gospel of John. The reading began after John the Baptist told the crowd that Jesus it the Lamb of God, the Promised One. A lot people started to follow Jesus and some people started to concern about John the Baptist's fading popularity.

Here's John the Baptist's answer to their concern:

'I am not the Christ but am sent ahead of him.' The bride belongs to the bridegroom. The friend who attends the bridegroom waits and listens for him, and is full of joy when he hears the bridegroom's voice. That joy is mine, and it is now complete. He must become greater; I must become less. (John 3:28-30, NIV)

In Indonesian Sunday School, we used to sang a song "He must become greater; I must become less". I did not really grasp the meaning of the song until I came to college and started to fall in love with Jesus all over again. But even then, I thought that the song was talking about denying self, and taking up the cross.

During devotion, God showed me another way to look at the verse. He was talking about leaving footprints in people's life. John the Baptist, with no doubt, was a very charismatic preacher. He attracted people to him, he was well received by the crowd (but not by the Pharisees, of course). But when Jesus came, John said "He must become greater; I must become less." While some people concerned about his fading popularity, John knew what matter the most. It didn't matter that he had a lot of followers, but it mattered that he directed as many people as possible to be connected to Jesus.

Since the first time I came to US, God had given me the privilege to join a small group. Recently, He also invited me to lead small group of college students. I've seen people come and go. One of our friends transferred to another state, several sisters went back to Indo for good. Although sense of loss is unavoidable, what matters most is that everyone keep walking with God faithfully.

The passage was an eye-opener for me, since I tend to be emotionally clingy to people. Would you please pray for me to adopt John the Baptist's humble attitude as I continue the ministry of discipleship in the church?

2 comments: