Sunday, November 8, 2009

Oh, be careful!!!

I learned a lesson when attempting to make singkong goreng last week. I just finished peeling and washing and cutting the singkong into pieces, when I took a second look and decided that the pieces are not small enough. So I took my knife and tried to cut them into smaller pieces. Since my cutting board is already on the sink, mingling with all other dirty dishes, I did not bother to use one.

As I was cutting, in the back of my mind I was thinking that it would be way safer to use a cutting board (but of course I was too lazy to wash another). Guess what? When your laziness triumphs over your better judgement, something BAD usually happens. So there I cut my finger :'(

Think about it, how often does this scenario play in our lives? (i.e: I know I should be studying right now, but let me relax a little bit more; or I know I should take my car for service today/this week but I think it can last a little bit longer; or --this is the scariest one-- I know I should stop doing this sinful habit I've been doing but let me just enjoy it for a little bit longer)

Last Tuesday during our small group meeting, we were given an illustration about old self. Imagine your old self is hanging on the cross, dying, but not quite dead yet. Imagine that old self is first asking for a sip of water, then a cup of water, then it proceeds asking to be fed, and before you know it, your old self goes stronger and start to take charge again. We don't want that to happen, do we?

To me, this week, a cut on my finger reminds me of the importance of ergonomics in kitchen to avoid injury. A cut on my finger also reminds me of the pain that would result from delaying to do the right thing. It also reminds me of the importance of immediate response in obedience to the Holy Spirit's prompting in our hearts to prevent our old self to be in control again.

It also reminds me of the song we sang in nursery:
I'm gonna sing when the Spirit says sing,
I'm gonna sing when the Spirit says sing,
I'm gonna sing when the Spirit says sing,
and obey the Spirit of the Lord.

- Delayed obedience is disobedience (PDL)

1 comment:

  1. wuahhhhh..... i hope your fingers are okay :( thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete